Edwin Forrest RCA (1918-2002)
Edwin V Forrest was born in Tranmere, Birkenhead of working class parents who were unable to provide their gifted son with a formal art education though he was taken regularly by his father to the art galleries of the Lady Lever in Port Sunlight and the Williamson in Birkenhead. Not able to accept an offered place at the Slade, he studied at the Laird School of Art and the Liverpool School of Art. He trained as an ecclesiastical and lettering artist in his grandfather’s painting and decoration business. He was of Welsh and Manx parentage and spent a lot of time as a youngster with family in Caerwys.
Ed was elected to the Royal Cambrian Academy in 1958. A self taught figurative painter, he followed the British tradition of landscape painting: one of the greatest influences on his work has been the constantly changing light and skies of the Wirral. Oil became his forte and he was known for the scintillating light shown in his seascapes and landscapes; and for the darkness in his skies and in the blue-black Welsh hills.
After early retirement as Curator of the Williamson Art Gallery in Birkenhead, he moved to Trefriw in February 1978, with his wife, Anne, and three year old daughter, Kate. Ed loved living in Trefriw where he worked in his large, light studio in Bryn Rodyn, and where subjects were abundant.
Ed was a keen fisherman belonging to the Llanrwst Angling Club, and when out on Crafnant Lakeor on the Conwy, would often come home with both fish and a sketch.
He exhibited at the RCA and most of the major towns and cities in England and Wales. His work is to be found in collections in Britain, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, USA, Canada and South America.